Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Downton and MTV



I just woke up from a spectacularly weird dream.  My college buddy, Cathy, and I were in Brooklyn and trying to board a ferry that would take us to a teeny tiny island owned by MTV.  Honestly, we could have swam to the island it was so close but since when are dreams logical.  The ferry was entirely filled with punks and hoochie mamas who looked like they belonged on Jersey Shore so we didn't board.  We could see the island and the ferry were too crowded and the youngsters (boy, I feel old) were too rowdy and drunk.  It's one thing to party but not with that crowd and it was about 3 in the afternoon in my dream so that was just too early for us classy folk. 

We walked under an overpass and there was a bridge leading to the MTV island that had people in moped-type bikes going across.  It was so loud and filthy that we decided to abandon all hope of getting to the island.  We somehow got "upstairs" and there was a really pretty, semi-abandoned overlook with great views of Manhattan.  Fewer people, great views - it was nice.  The problem was the pavement wasn't level.  I'm talking like '45 degree angle' not level.  We were both hanging on to a railing while laying flat on our stomachs and my railing broke. Cheap construction.  So, I had to use the other railing.  That one started to go.  We carefully made our way to the opposite point of the overlook area and tried to get something to eat and were unsuccessful.  At this point, Cathy and I agreed that there was nothing fun about this adventure.

That's when my 'Brooklyn isn't fun' dream transitioned to me with the cast of Downton Abbey in Oprah's old TV studio.  I know.  Makes complete sense, right?  There they were in modern day clothes with their British accents doing song and dance numbers for no audience.  They were being filmed but there wasn't a live audience and for some reason they were in the chairs and not on the stage.  The head maid who had cancer looked like she had aged quite a bit and had her head shaved.  She had surgery to improve her hearing and cheekbones.  She kept repeating the word 'murder' in very dramatic ways and saying how this was the first time in her life she was able to hear words out of both ears.  I think she was practicing some sort of detective show monologue hoping to get a job other than Downton Abbey.  Some of the main characters were missing but Kate Winslet was there.  I'm NOT a fan of hers at all and I was hoping this didn't mean she was going to show up in an episode.  Ugh.  She started singing and hamming it up too.  Keep away, Kate!

Okay, now I have to go to work.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment