Friday, July 20, 2012

It's Better Than Riding A Camel

As far back as I can remember, I wanted to ride a horse.  My grade school friend, Loren, and I used to pretend to ride horses, unicorns, and pegasus (pegasi for plural?) during recess.  Our Catholic school playground was really just a concrete church parking lot but that didn't stop us from galloping all around the place at breakneck speed.  We used to read every book we could find in our library about horses and memorize all their different body parts, from the hoof up.

I never got a chance to ride a horse or a pony as a kid but I did "ride" a camel and an elephant at the Bronx Zoo during an elementary school class trip.  Basically, that involved the zoo employees jamming 4 tiny kids on top of a very smelly and miserable camel/elephant for a couple of turns around a poop-filled sandy lot.  Since I was so short, I remember getting to sit in front but it was hard to breathe since my abdomen was pressed up against a metal bar.  It was a neat and memorable experience but not very romantic or comfy.  Plus, I really just wanted to ride a horse.

Thanks to the Best Boyfriend Ever (a.k.a. BBFE), I got to ride a horse FOR REAL yesterday.  Talk about a big day for me!  BBFE, his step-dad, and I went to Carvin's Cove and rode for 6 miles on a gorgeous, woody trail.  The weather was perfect and I had the best time.  I was worried before the ride that I'd be intimidated by the horse's height or anxious about falling off or doing something wrong.  But no worry or anxiety surfaced after I got up on the saddle.  It was just pure happiness at finally getting to enjoy something I had wanted to do for so long.

Yes, my butt and thighs are sore from riding for two hours but that's not a big deal because I had so much fun.  I think the awesome horse I was traveling with had a good time too.  Whenever we'd stop he'd snack and fart.  Plus, he got some apples out of the deal.  Lucky for me he's the most calm, relaxed horse alive so he made the experience easy for me.  They call him a Wonder Horse.  He is ~ and he's a lot more fun to hang out with than a camel or an elephant.  :-)

You can tell I'm super happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment