Sunday, July 15, 2012

My Parents Miss the Beach

My parents moved away from NY about a year after I did and I really didn't realize how much they missed the ocean until today.  They told me how they saw a segment on beaches this AM on 'CBS Sunday Morning' and how they wished they were younger so that they could take a trip back to the beaches they were familiar with growing up.  They both really miss the ocean.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that 'longing to see the ocean feeling' since it's hard to spend the summer away from the beach when I had the opportunity to go for years and now a decent beach is seven hours away.

My favorite Long Island beach of all was Robert Moses State Park's field # 5 beach.  The South Shore beaches have much finer sand and hardly any shells/rocks to contend with.  Plus, you gotta love the roar of the Atlantic Ocean.  Here's a view from a hot and hazy morning a couple of years ago.



North Shore beaches are rocky and difficult to walk on.  There aren't any impressive waves since the beaches face either the placid Long Island Sound or an inlet of some sort.  On super hot days when there isn't a breeze around you feel like you are in an oven.  But - they do have something the South Shore beaches don't: extra character.  The cliffs and boulders and wildlife on the North Shore are pretty impressive and the pictures you get are a heck of a lot more interesting.  If you can stand the heat and the pebbles in order to get them.  ;-)

So pretty!  North Shore of Suffolk Cty

No comments:

Post a Comment