Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fishing (I couldn't come up with a witty title)

Wonder what he caught?!
I went fishing once as a kid on the North Shore of Long Island but I was annoyed the entire time.  I got to use a lame-o bamboo fishing pole without a reel on it.  Honestly, it was useless.  Even as a elementary school age child with no prior fishing experience, I knew that I was being gyped and my older brother had the nice rod/reel combo and I was very bitter about it.

I have the worst memory but I can totally remember so many details about that day partly because I was so frustrated.  I wanted to be offered the same fishing experience as my brother even though I was so tiny and weak. Didn't matter - I wanted equal treatment.

My boyfriend has taken me fishing several times and I get to use the big girl/big boy rod and reel (yay!).  Perhaps this adult fishing experience will lead me to finally get over my childhood fishing anger issues.  It's possible!

What I like about fishing is how relaxing it is.  Even if you don't catch anything you can just enjoy the water and the landscape... Plus, you never know what is going to happen and that keeps it interesting.  I never thought that a fish could successfully take a worm or minnow off of a hook and hoodwink me.  It happens all the time.  I like that the fish aren't all that helpless or dumb.  Otherwise, I'd feel guilty.  But, I don't because we throw them back.  Actually, my boyfriend does that part because I am still a bit of a little girl I guess. The wiggly fish makes me nervous.  Go figure... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment