Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Fun Quiz About Language and Accents

The New York Times recently published an on-line interactive article about linguistics that you can click on here.  If you answer 25 questions, the website will process your personal dialect results in the form of hot zone maps.  The redder the zone, the more likely your dialect matches that geographical area.  It's neat!

Obviously, my test results indicated that my dialect comes from the New York/Yonkers/Newark area which is 100% correct.  My husband got deep South results which surprised us.  I think we were both expecting that he would end up in the Virginia/N.C. area on his hot zone map but so many Northerners have moved into Virginia that the local dialects have become diluted.  You can walk around Virginia and hear fewer and fewer Southern accents these days.  I love a good Southern accent...

Anyway, it's a super fun way to spend 15 minutes of your time!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment