Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Garden

 
Happy Weekend!  Thought I'd add a little video of Billy Joel performing for the hell of it.  My good friend, Miriam, saw him in concert this week and that brought back memories of when I saw Billy Joel in concert back at Madison Square Garden several years ago.  He was fantastic!  I treated my sister and brother-in-law to the concert and we had amazing seats off to the side that were close to the stage.  Besides Billy, I've seen George Michael, U2, Madonna, Duran Duran, New Kids on the Block, and The Who at MSG.
 
Of all the different concert venues I've been to over the years, Madison Square Garden is my favorite.  Not because of its looks ~ it's old and kind of nasty inside ~ but because the acoustics are wonderful, the energy can't be matched, and the location is fantastic.  At every concert I've seen there, the Garden seems to take the crowd's energy, amplify it, and push it back to make the experience even better.  Also, how convenient is it to walk down a few flights of stairs to the Long Island Railroad for the trip home?!
 
Madison Square Garden is being forced to close its doors and move to a new location by 2023 because the New York City Council wants to renovate Penn Station which is located directly underneath it.  Here's a NY Times article about the situation.  I think it's a mistake to move the Garden to some other space and it may just a ploy by some politicians to take valuable real estate and sell it off to the bidder most willing to give them a 'reward'.  Maybe I'm being overly cynical but that's just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment