Saturday, September 21, 2013

Why a Tribute Band Can Be as Awesome as the Real Thing



Friday night, Jeff and I spent our evening rocking out with CrossRoads, a Bon Jovi tribute band from the Baltimore area.  They were performing in Roanoke as part of a Friday night concert series put on by our local rock station WROV.  The concert was $6 per person and was supposed to be outside but the weather wasn't cooperating so it was held in a basement area of the Civic Center.  Not the best location for a rock concert but the band kicked ass!  What a great way to spend a Friday night!

I've seen Bon Jovi perform live and CrossRoads sounds JUST like the real thing and they had great energy.  I was super impressed and had an amazing time.  The video above from their website doesn't do them justice because the sound on the video isn't as clear as it could be due to area acoustic issues.  There is another video of them on You Tube that sounds better and the videographer was closer to the stage too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB-trKAJCjU

I loved how the lead singer would interact with the audience and the band is super talented.  They all seemed like nice guys and I couldn't get over the voice!  They were their own opening act and played various non-Jovi songs, took a short break, and came back in different clothing to play the Bon Jovi set list.  I can't remember every song they played but some of them were "Bad Medicine", "Bed of Roses", "Lay Your Hands On Me", "I'll Be There For You", "Runaway", "Blaze of Glory", "Have a Nice Day", "Keep the Faith", "It's My Life", "Blood On Blood", "Always", and "Livin' on a Prayer".  My two favorites were "Always" and "Runaway" because they sounded so damn good!

Band pic from their Facebook page and website
There's a really great U2 tribute band that I posted about months ago.  Obviously, I'm a big fan of tribute bands if I've posted about them twice because these bands sound fantastic, love what they do so give their all at a show, and give you that big concert experience in an intimate club environment.  I love the real Bon Jovi and U2 but I don't love the excessive ticket prices, anxiety-inducing crowds, and extreme distance between the stage and the seats.

I'd say there were about 100 people at last night's show but I'm not the best at estimating crowds.  I wish more people would take the time to get out and support these musicians who are super-talented and fans themselves!  It's a great way to enjoy live music, stimulate the economy, and pay tribute you a band you love with a group of fun people.  Although, I must say, there were a few bizarre-o people there last night as well.  Music brings people together, I guess. 

According to the lead singer, CrossRoads performs all up and down the Mid-Atlantic coast from Key West to Baltimore.  Definitely go see them if you have a chance or book them for your own event.  They are amazing.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment